Tuesday, February 09, 2010

February update

Hi Everyone! Long time, no posts, huh? It's about time I shared a few things happening with Second Chance Art & Accessories...

Here's a peek at a few new chalkboards we've put together from vintage frames. These are up on the website also, so check it out for more details: http://www.secondchanceart.net/


Okay... here's some pictures of a personal project I've been working on. I bought an old warehouse cart over a year ago, intending to refinish it as a coffee table. I've finally got it finished! Here's some before & after shots:

This is the top of the cart, with all the hardware removed, after I've sanded it:


Here's all the pieces we took off the cart... large & small wheels, the axle brackets, and holders for the 4 posts on each corner.


I have my hubby to thank for this one... he took it upon himself to refurbish all the metal parts, using a wire brush & his lathe machine. I got lucky here, since this was not a very fun job. The finished wheel is on the left here.

The finished wheel is on the right here..

The finished product: It's a little dusty, as we still need to rearrange our living area & are working on some other "dust producing" projects. But hopefully you get the idea! For the design, I replicated the logo from my Dad & Grandpa's old business. They used to have a bunch of these carts, and my sister & I used to ride them up & down the warehouse when we were young. Anyway, this logo will remind me of times past, playing on those old carts!


The company, Fairbanks, printed onto the cart - still makes these! I love the old green paint & raised lettering on the axle bracket.
What's next? We're working on a facebook page.. so stay tuned for how to sign up to be a fan. Also - we've confirmed participation in some summer shows, so I'll be adding this info to our events page shortly. See http://www.secondchanceart.net/ & click on events for more info. As always, thanks for stopping by! take care - Amy :)

1 comment:

johnyater said...

I love it when someone takes the time to refurbish a old truck like you did. You did a great job and I really like what you did with the deck. It is a great advertisement for your business.
I guess I am so partial to these old trucks because I work at Hamilton Caster and we also make similiar platform trucks. We actually still have platform trucks in use that are at least 80 years old. That is a testiment to the quality of the workanship put into these trucks.
One thing that you may want to do when refurbishing an old truck is to use square head lag bolts and square nuts. This type of hardware was more common place in the older trucks