Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Is it psychic in here, or is it just my mom?

Recently, while helping Amy prepare some frames for future use as Second Chance Art, her mom, Carol, made an interesting discovery. Not only did she find something valuable tucked inside a flea market find, but she kind of knew it was there before she found it.

Here she describes the experience in an e-mail:

"Yesterday I spent the day at Aimer's helping scrape windows and clean mirrors. I worked on her dining room table. She worked in the garage. While we were eating lunch I said I daydreamed about taking one of her mirrors apart and finding money taped to the back side of the mirror.

"An hour later, I slid the back off one of those perfume trays she makes into 'Powder Room' signs. There was an envelope. I held my breath for a second. I turned it over and could see through the small see-through window that there was money in it.

"I put everything back and went to the back door and called to (Amy) in the garage if she could come in for a minute. Then I hurried down to the basement and asked Derek (Mr. Second Chance Art) if he could come up for a minute. In the kitchen I told her that my daydream had come true. Then I showed them the tray, took off the back, turned over the envelope and took out the money.

"There were four ten-dollar bills and a five. They were from the 1950's and 60's. The envelope said JL Hudson Co, Detroit. I used to babysit for the JL Hudson family when I was in high school. They were the owners of Hudson's, but came from Detroit on weekends to their "get-away" house a short ways from my Oxford house.

"It was so fun to find the money. We decided that Amy should use it to buy a new dress for the Gold Coast Show."

The money


The envelope




Carol, with Amy in Amy's new house.

1 comment:

Second Chance Art & Accessories said...

Yes, I must admit this was pretty exciting...Mom was calling out to me in a sort of panic-stricken voice, but not like she was gonna die or something. I'm keeping the envelope - I love the lettering on it! Maybe it will inspire a piece of art in the near future. :)