Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Flea market finds

Hi everyone -

My Mom & I went to the Kane County Flea market this weekend. Here's some photos of a few great finds! I indulged my love of old Hotel Silver, even though my husband has told me he thinks it's "gross" or something like that. I put it through the dishwasher (you're probably not supposed to do this, but it makes me feel better about using it - who knows where it's been!) and then polish it. Ever hear of the "Lawrence"? I'll have to google this one.


These old plumbing knobs are destined to become hooks for some bathroom themed art!

My Mom & I both got one of these cool old PO box doors. It actually still works! This will probably be built into a wall in my house at some point.

Here we are, before we left - displaying our empty trunk. I meant to take an after picture, but when I got home - my husband was gone with the camera.

check out the tangle of old painted hooks. Most people would think I'm crazy to buy such a thing. I see it as a new flavor of "hardware soup" - my method for removing old paint from hardware. (crockpot here it comes!)
Here's a couple of great old mirrors - very thick glass. See my feet in the picture?
Here's a couple of trays, which are harder for me to find. I have a hard time keeping them in stock.
I bought this picture for the frame - but check out the grumpy old ancestors! Sorry if you know these people, but no one from way back ever seemed very happy.
Here's another shot of the hotel silver I found, and another old "2" house number - goes with my second chance theme, so I'll probably mount it on some of my booth display signage.

Bye for now! thanks for checking in - Amy :)

3 comments:

Olivia in Baton Rouge said...

That silverware is a true "find". Like those mirrors too. Looks like it was a beautiful day to go to a flea market. Thanks for the pictures.

Janie said...

The silverware looks cool! Did you figure out what hotel it's from?

Second Chance Art & Accessories said...

I googled "the Lawrence Hotel" in Illinois, and found some history on an old hotel located at 1020 lawrence ave, chicago. It was built in 1928, had 380 rooms, a fitness center & restaurant. It had art-deco influences & was touted as a place for "modern effortless living". I think back in the day people would rent a room for a month or so - almost like an apartment. I'm guessing this is where my silverware came from! Pretty cool....