Monday, May 19, 2008

The garbage date comes through again

Hi Everyone......

My husband & I haven't been on a garbage date in a while, so I started bugging him early yesterday to see if I could weasel one out of him. (in a nutshell, this is when I have my hubby drive me around alleys in his truck, so I can check out everyone's cast offs with my flashlight stuck out the window). Anyway, it was looking like a night with not many finds. Then low & behold - I spied this great dresser! Check it out (I failed to get a picture of it before it went into my storage room on it's side - so I squeezed in there this morning for some pictures):

Here's another shot (I took this sideways also):
Check out the original pulls! Sadly, it is missing one - so I'll have to come up with another option for a couple of the drawers...
Great casters on the legs! These appear a little crusty, so if I can't get them rolling smoothly, I'll replace them with another set of vintage casters.
On a more personal note - we are in the process of giving our bedroom a facelift. We've ripped out an old closet which seemed a little "half baked". We've also ripped down an old drop ceiling, & replaced it with pressed-tin look paper tiles. I'm in the process of painting the entire room (ceiling, trim, walls, etc). This hole in the wall is where I've removed my ventilation grate. It was coated with paint, so of course I see this as a challenge. I should also mention, this is the last major piece of hardware in my house that I have yet to strip paint from (except door hinges - I'm not THAT die hard).
Here's the grate on my living room rug, disassembled & ready for a little cooking. Don't worry, I vacuumed up all the paint chips!
Here it is, face down, in a disposable pan. Larger items are tricky, since they don't fit in my slow cooker. Sooo... I braise them in a pan like this in my oven, at 200 degrees for 7-8 hours. Yuck! But this does the same thing as slow cooking, helps soften the paint for scraping.
The finished product - after at least an hour with me & my putty knife. I have to say, this was a doozy - but I think worth the effort. Whatever metal this one's made from did not want to let go of the paint. I'm glad it's over. :)
thanks for stopping by - take care! Amy :)

No comments: